The culmination of 4-H Project Animals is the annual Lee Allen Memorial Youth Auction, Saturday, August 5, 6 PM.
Your Purchase Helps Youth and You
When you purchase an animal at the Lee Allen Memorial Youth Auction, you are buying prize winning livestock raised by 4-H/FFA members. Your purchase helps support the important educational programs of these youth groups. It also brings you the choicest beef, pork, lamb, poultry and rabbits for your dining pleasure. The young people in 4-H/FFA programs are learning to produce the highest quality food for your table. Being responsible, engaging in financial obligations and learning how to manage their own business operations only scratch the surface of the educational benefits. On a small scale, however, their costs are higher than commercial producers. So YOUR support is needed.
How The Auction Works
You will be provided a sales catalog that lists all of the animals, along with their weights and owners. As each animal is led into the ring, the auctioneer asks for bids in cents per pound. When you wish to bid on an animal, just raise your hand. This continues until the high bid is reached, with the animal going to the highest bidder. If you want assistance, there are official Auction Committee members who will be glad to help you. Remember, whether you buy or not, your bidding helps the sale of the young livestock owners. If you or your organization wants to help, yet have no use for an animal, buy one at the auction, then resell it at market price to a commercial packer. Your actual cost will be the difference between the bid price and the market price.
How You Can Use An Animal
• Store in your freezer for a year’s supply of top quality meat.
• Give portions of the meat as special gifts to friends & relatives.
• Donate the animal to a favorite charity or organization.
• If a whole animal is too much for you, split it with friends.
ServIce clubs, lodges, unIons
• Put on a club BBQ for social or fund raising purposes.
• Donate the animal to needy people in your community.
• Hold a club “meat auction” to build the treasury.
• Give packaged meat to favorite friends.
• Use meat parcels and premiums for incentive programs.
• Hold a BBQ for employees.
• Auction off packaged meat to build employees’ fund.
• Resell animal & amount over market may be an IRS deduction.
Restaurants and markets
• Advertise that you serve Blue Ribbon meats.
• Display a Blue Ribbon on your menu and elsewhere.
• Publicize 4-H/FFA youth member quality meat in an advertising campaign.
What You Do After You Buy
Fill out all information on the buyers slip. Animals will be sent for resale unless you notify the clerk on auction night that you desire the meat and give delivery instructions.
• Keep the meat for personal use. The animal will be delivered to H&K Meats, C&C Slaughtering, Airlie’s Custom Meat Service, Willamina Meat Service, Mohawk Valley Meats, Farmer’s Helper (prearranged only), or 4-Star Meats to be cut and wrapped to your specifications.
• Consign it as a resale directly to a commercial packer at market price, if you do not wish to keep the animal for personal use. Your cost is the difference of the market price and auction price.
• Pick your animal up live.
If you are unable to attend the Auction but would like to bid, please see the Absentee Auction Offer PDF below.
Last year, 196 4-H youth benefitted from the largess of buyers supporters. 2016 Grand Champions & Reserve Champions:
Beef Grand Champion: Exhibited by Kayla Bateman; Purchased by: Venell Farms. Inc
Beef Reserve Champion: Exhbited by Emily Mills; Purchased by: Todd & Amy Nystrom
Swine Grand Champion: Exhibited by Kayli Drahn; Purchased by: Wilco Farm Store
Swine Reserve Champion: Exhbited by Emmit White; Purchased by John & Sue Berklund
Lamb Grand Champion: Exhibited by Emma Hawkins; Purchased by Les Schwab Tires 9th
Lamb Reserve Champion: Exhibited by Shyane White; Purchased by John & Sue Berklund
Rabbit Grand Champion: Exhibited by Trinity Serafin; Purchased by RCR Ranch
Rabbit Reserve Champion: Exhibited by Rachel Biscoe; Purchased by Gerding Builders
Poultry Grand Champion: Exhibited by Julia Weldon; Purchased by Sue Long, Realtor
Poultry Resereve Champion: Exhibited by Madison Loudon; Purchased by Karen James
For a complete list of all those wonderful buyers, please see the PDF below.